Public Service Electric and Gas Company
80 Park Plaza, T-6
Newark, NJ 07102-4191
PSE&G Prepared for Possible Thunderstorms and Heat Wave
First Multi-Day Extreme Heat of the Season
(NEWARK, N.J. – July 16, 2020) With thunderstorms forecast for Friday and extreme heat in the days that follow, Public Service Electric & Gas, New Jersey’s largest utility, is prepared to maintain safe, reliable service and meet the demand for additional power.Utility crews are ready to respond to service interruptions should they occur.
“We’re monitoring our system and are staffed and ready to respond to issues as they arise,” said Paul Toscarelli, PSE&G’s emergency preparedness director. “Since last summer, we’ve invested more than $1.7 billion in electric infrastructure improvements, which helps keep the power and your air conditioners on.”
PSE&G prepares year-round for extreme weather to maintain reliable service for our customers. We also encourage customers to monitor the weather and avoid being in extreme heat for lengthy periods. If customers cool off by getting in swimming pools, we encourage them to follow safe practices such as checking to ensure no electric devices are nearby that could accidentally fall into the water.
PSE&G also reminds customers that hot and sticky weather can lead to more usage and higher electric bills. Customers can save energy and money this summer by following 10 simple tips:
1. Don’t cool an empty house. Set your thermostat higher when you are away.
2. Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows with caulk or weather-stripping.
3. Replace air filters monthly. Dirty filters make your air conditioner work harder.
4. Use a microwave or crockpot instead of the oven. Better yet, grill outdoors.
5. Operate appliances in the morning or evening when it is cooler outside.
6. When washing dishes or clothes, run full loads.
7. Wash laundry in cold water.
8. Close blinds and draperies facing the sun to keep out the sun’s heat.
9. Don’t cool unused rooms. Close the vents and shut the door.
10. Ceiling fans cool fast and cost less than air conditioning. (In hot weather, set your ceiling fan to spin quickly, counterclockwise to push air downward toward the floor.)
For more ways to save on summer energy bills, visit https://nj.pseg.com/saveenergyandmoney/energysavingpage/summerenergytips.
Stay connected with PSE&G:
· Compile a list of emergency phone numbers; include PSE&G Customer Service 1-800-436-PSEG.
· Go to pseg.com/myaccount to sign up to report outages online and to check restoration progress.
· Go to pseg.com/outagecenter to check the “Outage Map,” which is updated every 15 minutes with PSE&G outage information, and to register for MyAlerts to receive text notifications.
· You can report an outage by texting “OUT” to 4PSEG (47734) or via Alexa.
· The new PSE&G mobile app enables customers using Apple or Android devices to securely and easily manage their accounts when and where the customers want to be served.
· “Like” PSEG on Facebook and follow PSEG on Twitter @PSEGdelivers.
Stay away from downed wires:
· Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Stay at least 30 feet away from downed power lines and immediately call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734) or 911 to report downed wires.
Other important safety notes:
· To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, do not run any gasoline-powered generators in a garage or any other enclosed space.
· If you are on life-sustaining medical equipment, ensure that you alert PSE&G in advance and notify your local police and fire departments. For more information, visit www.pseg.com/life.
Public Service Electric & Gas Co. (PSE&G) is New Jersey’s oldest and largest gas and electric delivery public utility, serving three-quarters of the state’s population. PSE&G is the winner of the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability in the Mid-Atlantic region. In 2020, PSE&G was named the most trusted combined gas & electric utility in the East Region, by the Cogent Syndicated Brand Trust Index. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company. PSEG has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for North America for 12 consecutive years (www.pseg.com).
Visit PSEG at:
PSEG on Facebook
PSEG on Twitter
PSEG on LinkedIn