City Manager / Administration
The City Manager is the chief executive and administrative official of the City. The City Manager shall be responsible to the council for carrying out all policies established by it and for the proper administration of all affairs of the city within the jurisdiction of the council. The Manager appoints all department heads and all other officers. Additional responsibilities of the City Manager include the following items:
- Negotiate contracts for the city subject to the approval of the city council, make recommendations concerning the nature and location of city improvements, and execute city improvements as determined by the city council.
- See that all terms and conditions imposed in favor of the city or its inhabitants in any statute, public utility franchise, or other contract are faithfully kept and performed, and upon knowledge of any violation call the same to the attention of the city council.
- Attend all meetings of the city council with the right to take part in the discussions, but without the right to vote.
- Recommend to the city council for adoption such measures as he may deem necessary or expedient, keep the council advised of the financial condition of the city, make reports to the council as requested by it, and at least once a year make an annual report of his work for the benefit of the council and the public.
- Investigate at any time the affairs of any officer or department of the city.
- Perform such other duties as may be required of the city manager by ordinance or resolution of the city council.
- The city budget shall be prepared by the city manager and submitted to the Council for approval. During the month of November each year, the city manager shall require all department heads to submit requests for appropriations for the ensuing budget year and to appear before him at public hearings, which shall be held during that month, on the various requests.
Please note: All requests should be submitted 2 to 3 weeks prior to the original requested date.